Saturday, August 6, 2011

Where I'm From

I joined an online writer's group this summer to learn and to help me stay motivated to write. Selling our house kind of squashed my desire and ability to write for a while, but I am slowly getting back into a groove. They recently had us read the poem Where I'm From by George Ella Lyons and use it as inspiration to write something of our own. You can read Lyons poem here http://www.georgeellalyon.com/where.html. The following is what I came up with.




Where I'm From

Kim Harms


I am from a woodburning stove and a sprawling yard on the outskirts of town where one flashing red light hangs over middle mainstreet and corn fields grow as far as the eye can see.


I am from hardworking calloused hands, a father who wanted a good life for his kids. I am from soft gentle hands, a seamstress mother who with quiet strength passed her faith to her children.

I am from Saturday tea with Grandma and potroast after Sunday worship. I am from rasberry bushes, rhubarb crisp, sweet corn and green beans. From cousins aplenty, hand sewn dresses, slumber parties and Friday night football games. I am from hot summer days and cold winter nights. A place where dreams were born and grown but sent elsewhere to be realized.

3 comments:

Tori said...

I love it, Kim. Tell me more about this online group.

jan said...

brings tears to my eyes

Angie said...

Amazing, Kim. Glad you're feeling inspired again.