Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bring on the Amphibians

The second toad of the season (the first escaped) and the first tadpole are making themselves at home in our garage. Lewis thinks the are the toad is very entertaining. Here he is giving him a little rock to jump over.

The tadpole is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. I need to get a picture. One of the neighbor boys caught it and gave it to us. It is a bullfrog tadpole, and its body is about the size of an average-sized toad. I have never seen anything like it before. I bought a plastic container from Wal-Mart to put him in because I read online that they need to be able to swim, and he just looked so big in the ice-cream pail. I also boiled lettuce for him to eat (that is what the neighbor boy told me they like). Boiling lettuce for a tadpole - now that is something this girl wouldn't have guessed she'd be doing before she was blessed with male children.

No comments: